Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The power of one...

Today is the last day of World Breastfeeding Week (WBW). I have made several posts about WBW on my infant feeding history blog, but I wanted to post something here too. If you've read this blog long enough, then you know that I am always coming back to the topic of breastfeeding. The more time passes by, the more it becomes dear to me. This post will be more of a rambling nature, but I do want this to be posted today :-)

My idea for La Leche USA's theme, "The Power of One... _____." is:

The power of one phone call.

How many mothers with breastfeeding problems pick up the phone to call a friend, a lactation consultant, La Leche Leader, even their doctor to talk about it? I haven't checked to see if someone has tried tracking that data, but that's beside the point. My point is that some mothers hesitate to call, or just don't -- whatever the reason. Well, I am glad that La Leche League now has a 24hr hotline (1-877-4-LA LECHE). What a wonderful privilege it is to make a phone call that won't inconvenience anyone -- regardless of what time it is -- for free!

I once read somewhere about someone giving a lactation consultant service gift certificate as a baby gift. I thought that is a wonderful idea so that a mom can have that kind of peace of mind if she needs to call on someone. With my first two children, I didn't need to call anyone. As a matter of fact, I have never even been to a La Leche meeting. But I'm glad I called someone regarding my daughter's breastfeeding, as it helped me manage the situation I was in, which was already quite stressful. As much as I have told friends to call me if they need anything, I know that I don't have many of the answers as I am not trained in that area, but I know I could connect them to who does as well as encourage them. I once asked a mother if they had a friend who was a lactation consultant, would they call them for advice. Her answer as a definite yes. So one day I hope to be a friend like that. Nonetheless, I have considered donating to the LLL hotline as part of a baby gift. Not only will this spread the word about the hotline, but it will be my own small way of making sure it remains.

So, if any of you are inspired to comment, what is one thing that made (or could have made) the difference in your breastfeeding experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment