Monday, March 16, 2009

Not me!


Dear Readers,

It has been brought to my attention that the Corn Refiners Association has launched an advertising campaign promoting high-fructose corn syrup. On their home page, there is a statement that reads, in part:

High fructose corn syrup provides many important characteristics, such as texture, flavor and freshness, to your favorite foods and beverages. It is nutritionally the same as table sugar and has the same number of calories, too. As many dietitians agree, sweeteners should be enjoyed in moderation.

In response to the advertising campaign and this statement, I would like to clarify:

1. I am a registered dietitian.
2. I do promote foods in moderation.
3. I do not promote the use of high fructose corn syrup.
4. I am not one of the dietitians this campaign or this web page is attempting to connect their product with.
5. Just as I am exercising my freedom of expression by posting this statement to this blog, I respect the right of the Corn Refiners Association to promote their product. I simply wish to clarify that I have no professional association with their statement or their association.
6. If anyone reading this blog chooses to consume high-fructose corn syrup, it is their personal choice and freedom of expression. It is not a choice based on any perceived endorsement related to the fact that I am a registered dietitian that may have been insinuated based on the wording of these advertisements and the Corn Refiners Association web page.

Respectfully,

Renata Mangrum, MPH, RD.


Thanks to Monika Woolsey for writing this statement and allowing me to use it in its entirety.

Also see: HCFS: What's the Bottom Line?

3 comments:

  1. This makes me sad...I really can't believe they are allowed to campaign FOR this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna,

    Of course they can campaign for it. It is their product and their right to market it that way. How many products have you seen say "Doctor/Pediatrician approved"? It is a marketing tactic. The truth is that there are studies indicating concern with HFCS consumption, but as a whole, the results are mixed. Convincing evidence doesn't happen overnight, and not all scientific study conclusions can be applied to our current situation. However, there is enough out there to proceed with caution. I would not be so concerned if it weren't in so many products that are part of the American diet. It is hard to practice moderation when there are so many indirect sources of HFCS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm yummmy... modified sugar, yum! :)
    hehe you know we dont use HFCS if all possible

    ReplyDelete