Saturday, November 1, 2008

They get it!

I just had to share a quick conversation I had with some trick-or-treaters last night. I would guess they were about 10 years old. One kid said, "look how much candy I got!" His stash was probably the size of a soccer ball. I answered, wow! Are you going to eat all of that? He said, "Yeah, I'll probably be eating it over the next 6 months."

One of the other boys said he was donating half his candy to kids with mental illness who couldn't go out to trick or treat. He also mentioned something about HIV. Nonetheless, it appears his mom has taught him well to think of others.

I'm glad I just happened to ask. I was so discouraged last year to see how much candy these kids got. It is so excessive. But thankfully I got to see that they're not that interested in eating it all. At least not all at once.

2 comments:

  1. Liz here from Meal Makeover Moms. Glad you had a chance to chat with your trick-or-treaters the other night. In my town, there's a dentist who buys candy from kids (I think it's about $2.00 per pound) and later builds a gingerbread house with all the goodies (he then donates it to a local nursing home).
    On Halloween night, I had some fun of my own. Instead of handing out JUST candy, I offered the kids a piece (or two) of candy OR a small prize (Halloween pencils, bouncy balls, etc). About half the time, the kids opted for the toy. I doubt it made a dent in their overall candy collection but it proved that kids aren't always drawn to the sweet stuff. As for the 330 pieces of candy my 13-year old collected .... Let's just hope his teeth survive the sugar overload.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz, thanks for your comment.
    Those are some pretty creative ideas, and here's hoping your son trades in some of that candy :-)
    By the way, I have benefited from your book. We especially like the oatmeal cookie recipe :-)

    Oh, and the frozen veggie snack idea works miracles around here. I even can use it as a bribe!

    ReplyDelete