Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Saturday Reflections 2009

"And on the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment." Luke 23:56

I wonder how they rested? Surely, they rested physically, but what about their soul? How could it not be restless? After all, the One they hoped would redeem them had been brutally beaten and left to hang on a cross, even though He had done no wrong. What happened? What a terrible and confusing turn of events. What disappointment. What sorrow. And to top it off, they had to wait an entire day and rest before they could properly embalm His body. I wonder what was going on in their hearts at that point. It seemed that all had come to an abrupt end. Now what were they going to do? Well, it was the Sabbath, so they rested.

I don't think my family is alone in feeling a sort of bewilderment regarding our circumstances during this Easter season. (I'm not one of those people who spill out all my struggles in public, especially when it doesn't just involve me, so sorry if you don't know what I'm talking about.) Honestly, my mind has been so occupied with these things that there is the temptation to overlook this most important holiday. So I chose to go back to God's word and read those Easter passages again. I have the advantage of knowing what Jesus did the next day. His disciples were caught by surprise, although Jesus had told them beforehand what would happen. They just didn't get it. So although I don't "get" what God is doing right now, I am reminded of the many times I didn't know what would happen next, but in the end everything worked out (often times much better than if I could have arranged it myself).

It's more than just believing. It's because of Easter that I have a living faith and hope. Without Easter, my faith would be worthless. (1 Corinthians 15:17)

So for today, my soul will rest.

"Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me." John 14:1

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Renata! I will pray for rest for you today - and the peace that passes all understanding, as God promises to give us. Hope you see His plan clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna,
    I don't know if I'll see His plan clearly, but I do get glimpses here and there that He is at work. Have a great Easter.

    ReplyDelete