Thursday, July 12, 2007

Pizza Party


I spent this evening teaching some wonderful women how to make pizza dough. I usually use a mixer or a bread machine to make mine, but we did it by hand tonight since not all of them have that kind of equipment. I supplied the dough ingredients, sauce and cheese, and they brought their favorite toppings. We ended up making calzones (not pictured) and had a great time. They compared it to a Pampered Chef type party without the selling. By the way, I'm the one in the middle with the blue shirt.

I walked them through the process and each of them got to take some dough home. I made a big batch of dough ahead of time so we wouldn't have to wait an hour for the dough to rise, then shape etc. We all made calzones and then I made two pizzas with the leftover dough. I also had mixed up a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies ahead of time and put it in the oven after the pizzas were done, turned off the oven and left them there for about 15 minutes. A nice way to use up the heat left over from the oven. The dough, sauce, and cheese came out to ~75 cents per person. The cost of toppings vary, but most likely is less than the usual $1 added at the pizzeria.

I have always wanted to teach people to cook, but I haven't had much opportunity. It was a great opportunity to get to know people and I hope I can do similar type gatherings in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment