Friday, July 20, 2007

Shoelaces...

I don't remember the first time I managed to tie my shoes, but I remember starting with the bunny knot. I eventually progressed to the other method where you start with one bunny loop and then wrap the other end around it and tuck it in, then pull...
Do you know what I mean?

Well, I had bookmared Ian's Shoelace Site a few months ago given that my oldest child is headed toward that rite of passage, but I just got around to looking at it this week. There is more information than you'll ever need to know about tying shoelaces, but I did make a terrible discovery...

...I've been doing it wrong.

I have been frustrated with how my shoelaces are always coming undone, even with the double knots. Now I know why. By reversing the way I do my starting knot, I now have perfectly straight bows, that don't slip. And I don't need to double knot either.

Granted, now I have to think before I tie my shoes, but hopefully the new way will easily become a habit. Good thing I learned this before I tried to teach my son.

I guess it's not too late to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment