Friday, November 16, 2007

Some thanksgiving ideas...

Here are some of the fun things we have cooked on Thanksgiving:

Turkey rolls! You can use any roll dough. I used cloves as the turkey's eyes.
[updated 11/18/09: Here's the recipe I used for the rolls]



Another year we grilled turkey legs, like those you find at the agricultural fairs. Mmmm...


We have also grilled a turkey breast. It came out pretty good, but the seasoning didn't penetrate much. My husband wants to do it again this year, although I am not sure what recipe. This time, we'll be using smoking chips for sure.

Last year, I wanted to make caramel apple turkeys. I made the apples, but didn't have time for the turkey. The idea was that the apple would be the body and the feathers could be attached to the stick. Then a head would be stuck on front. If I do it this year, I'll let you know. If you try it, let me know too :-)

13 comments:

  1. I love your rolls! You have an award waiting for you over on my site. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those rolls are neat. Stacy @ www.designingandmotherhood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These rolls not only are adorable but they look delicious! Would you share your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kristi for the idea. The recipe is now up (and linked to from this post).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you Renata! I plan to use this for Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! We just put our turkey rolls in the oven. I'm sure I'll put the final result on my blog in a few days. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's some pictures of the turkey rolls we made inspired by yours. :) http://helpinglittlehands.blogspot.com/2009/11/pattis-famous-dinner-rollsturkey-style.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I'm totally making those! I'm in charge of bread for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I use your turkey rolls picture on my blog? I want to post about making these (with link to you, of course). B
    frymanfour(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cooking Light has a grilled turkey breast recipe this year that you might try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found your turkey bread idea several years ago. It's always a huge hit! It's become a tradition for a friend and I to bake these a day or 2 before Thanksgiving. We use 3 types of bread dough, a pumpkin yeast bread, and a variety of 2 others so that we have 3 different color doughs. The turkey feathers color vary as we use different doughs. FUN! Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to use the turkey rolls idea but make but the body/head our of cinnamon rolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Franc -

      What a great idea! I might use your idea too :-)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete