Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Thanksgiving is just around the corner...

And so the subject of avoiding weight gain comes up.

Actually, I don't like the topic of weight much at all. One day I'll write a post about this when I have more time to dedicate to this subject (but if anyone already knows of a great source, let me know). The reason is that people think that a magic number equals good health. But health can't be measured by weight alone. Furthermore, many times the goal weight is unrealistic and unecessary. It is possible to be considered "overweight" and be healthy, and be in a "normal" weight range and be unhealthy. It's the lifestyle that will make a difference.

That being said, it is often hard to maintain a healthful lifestyle during the next 6 weeks. Anything in excess is not going to be good for you. I have never tried this, but I would argue that lettuce eaten in excess it would be bad for them (maybe it would have the soporific effect as in Beatrix Potter's The Flopsy Bunnies). There are many strategies out there, but there is one a dear friend of mine once said that makes the most sense:

Don't eat something you don't really like.

That's right. My friend doesn't really care for pumpkin pie, so why eat it when there is so much else to eat?

No comments:

Post a Comment