Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Setting an example

What would it be like if your family purged all highly processed foods and started eating fresh and minimally processed foods for 30 days?

Well, I just found out about a blog of a family of 5 doing exactly that. As they approached the half way mark, Eileen reflected on the following:

"Despite cries against green vegetables or dense, oat pancakes or the issue of my own seriously chapped dish-pan hands (remedied by new gloves), I feel like I'm doing the best I can for the kids and fulfilling a maternal promise. There's no judgment in doing this. I certainly didn't love the kids less when I served them Nutrigrain bars for breakfast and McNuggets for lunch. But food is about the present and the future. It's a gift of the moment, of nutrition and pleasure. And it's a foundation for their futures in health and habits. It's why moms are such a potent, tangible mix of meals and memory."

So if you would like a break from the food police and see a great example of how a real family can take charge of their health, with realistic and non-threatening expectations, then I highly encourage you to read Fresh Mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment